Wednesday 28 September 2016

Day 5: 4 new habits in 28 days - Support

When trying to sustain a new habit for 28 days it's far too easy to fall back onto the old habit. In the blog I'm sharing what I'm doing to improve the chances of succeeding in introducing 4 new habits, and how I manage the challenges and frustrations that come up during the process. (For more on the 4 habits see the bottom of this post.)

Commitment is what is getting me through this challenge - and yes perhaps it's too soon to tell if it will get me through to the 28th day - but I'm still here at day 5 which is a bonus - even if I did have a wobble yesterday.

Not necessarily just commitment to myself to do this but commitment to others.

I've told my coach, I've blogged, my friends know because I texted them, I've Facebooked and tweeted about it. I've even told #TheDoctorWhoGaveUpDrugs I'm doing it. Which for me provides the daily inspiration to do what needs to be done. Inspiration because connection with others is important to me. If I've told others I'm going to do it - I'll do it. In other words I might want to go to bed but if I haven't completed one of the four habits I'll do it before I do go to bed. (Let's hope that doesn't involve drinking 2 litres of water in one go!)

In the well formed outcome I mentioned on day 1 this support network is included in step 4 - it's about dovetailing outcomes and involves asking yourself who needs to know about your goal.


I'm reminded of a blog I wrote about being up a creek without a paddle which talked of identifying who are guides and fellow travellers were to help us get out of the creek and back on track. Embedding new habits requires us to do the same - to identify those around us who can help us stay on course, who can celebrate our successes with us, and cheer-lead when we're struggling.

Who can help you achieve your goal, and when will you tell them about it?

Alison Smith
The Purchasing Coach
Inspiring Change - Inside and Out

Progress made on day 5:
  1. I will consistently eat gluten (and nightshade) free everyday - achieved
  2. I will do my hip mobilisation daily -  achieved
  3. I will drink 2 litres of water daily - achieved
  4. I will do one thing differently every day - achieved - I didn't hoover when I wanted to and won't till the weekend (ouch), I didn't watch TV and went to another room to watch videos associated with some studying I'm doing.
Blog posts of the journey to embed the 4 new habits have so far included - finding the inspirationvision and goal setting, setting targetsdoing things differently and yesterday I found myself wavering in my resolve.

For anyone wishing to get support to embed new habits in their lives, or with a vision or goal in need of a good overhaul you may want to consider coaching. More about what I offer here.

Hypertext links in the text above link to previous blogs written on the subject.

#28daychallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment