Monday 10 February 2014

Clarity of communication

I was at Haymarket station in Edinburgh this afternoon and saw this notice:


As I read the sign I wondered why they felt the need to warn us about the surface of a wall. I started to imagine what could possibly be temporary about what seemed quite a solid wall.

Then I tripped, and realised the temporary surface was under foot not on the wall!

I'm sure many people understood what was meant by the sign. However when communicating with your stakeholders you need to ensure you leave limited room for misunderstanding. Otherwise it might be your stakeholder who metaphorically trips up and blames you for not warning them of the perils of the actions they were taking.

Alison Smith
Inspiring change inside and out in procurement

No comments:

Post a Comment